May Schmooze eNews
What's coming up this month?
VIC: The May Schmooze
Tuesday 28 May at 1730-1930
Our policies are aimed to be as clear as possible with a view to avoid any misunderstandings and to ensure we protect our members privacy, ensure their safety and comfort, as well as define our responsibilities to you as our members and guests and vice versa.
If you have any questions about these policies please do not hesitate to contact us.
Policies Updated 12 December 2012
Acceptance or Cancellation of Membership
- Schmooze reserves the right to not accept an application for membership, or cancel an existing membership on grounds of inappropriate behaviour- see below.
- We regret we do do not accept applications for membership from active members of BNI. Schmooze members cannot be a member of both organisations- sorry.
- From time to time we decline membership applications to ensure we don't have too many of a particular profession. If this is the case we'll put the application on a wait list until a place becomes available.
- If a member doesn't pay their installments on time, they are first suspended, and if after a 2nd reminder no payment has been made (or alternative arrangements made with Schmooze) the membership will be terminated.
- We offer members the option to pay for their membership by installment- either monthly or in 3 monthly payments (for a 12 month package).
- Installments are due on the 15th of the month, and they are advised on the 1st of the due month.
- If members do not make the payment on this date their membership is suspended including:
- access to the Members Lounge deactivated
- no longer receive business referrals
- cannot be a featured member
- the company profile will be hidden on the website
- attending our events at member rates
- cannot post their events/news on the Schmooze facebook groups
- access to the LinkedIn members-only group deactivated.
- Once the installment is paid, membership privileges will be resumed within 24hours.
- Whilst Schmooze takes every effort to ensure a safe environment for our members and guests, we do not accept any liability for injury or loss of members or guests at those events. However, we will exercise a reasonable a duty of care to ensure the safety and well-being of its members and guests at our hosted events.
- Schmooze does not accept liability for the actions, services or advice of its members or their guests at our hosted events.
- Schmooze does not accept liability for the services or products provides by its members, including those in the Referral Program and inclusion in that program, or on our website or enews should not be considered an endorsement by Schmooze.
- Schmooze encourages responsible consumption of alchohol, and will also not serve alcoholic beverages to those under 18.
All members receive virtual Guest Passes when they join which can be used to bring colleagues or friends WHO HAVE NEVER BEEN TO A SCHMOOZE EVENT BEFORE to a Schmooze hosted event for free!
For example, six months membership comes with one Pass and 12 months, 2 Passes. Each Guest Pass is worth $65 inl GST.
- If a member wants to use a Pass just let us know when you RSVP and your guests name and email address
- They don't have to accompany your Guest to the event
- They are forfeit in the event of a no-show (to avoid this just call or email us before the event as a courtesy)
- Once a membership expires they are forfeited.
Code of Behaviour
Any of the following may result in instant removal from our mailing list and cancellation of your membership without a refund, following an opportunity for a member to explain themselves.
- Behaviour at a Schmooze event that can be reasonably perceived to be harassment
- If we feel that the culture fit of an individual isn't appropriate to the atmosphere we aim to create at Schmooze
- Serious misbehaviour, eg fraud, criminal behaviour in general
- For soliticing members and guests to join another networking or business type group (we wouldn't do it, and think its very poor form)
- Granting access to the Members Lounge to a non-member such as sharing your log-in and password
- Sending unsolicited commercial emails to members, eg Spamming (if you want to inform members of commercial opportunity, please contact Phillip)
- If we receive complaints of a participant's behaviour from several Schmooze participants.
- Social members cannot make commercial offers, or promote their businesses through Schmooze or to other members.
Membership Renewals and Duration
- Members start from date of payment and are either for six or 12 months duration
- Memberships expire on the 15th of the month and members are notified on the 1st of the month their memberships are due to expire.
- Once memberships have expired, their log-in access to the Members Lounge is deactivated and they will be notified via email.
Eligibility to attend Events
- You must be a member, guest of one, or a pay for a casual ticket to attend our events
- Some activities are members-only such as our Interest Groups
- You must be over 18 to attend Schmooze events
- We regret that we cannot accept members of BNI as guests to our events
- We reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone to an event
Access to the Members Lounge
- Members access is granted once membership fee is paid and is switched off once their membership expires, or do not make an instalment payment by the due date.
- Access cannot be shared with other non-members- if this is done, it will result in termination of membership.
Pausing of Membership
- Members can suspend your membership for up to two months without penalty. Just contact Schmooze with your dates before you wish to suspend your membership.
Ownership and Transferring of Memberships
- There is a limit of one ABN per membership- multiple companies cannot share a membership
- Memberships are the property of the organisation or individual who paid for it, so if a staff member leaves for another organisation their membership stays with the organisation who paid for it, they cannot take it with them.
- Memberships can be transferred on a pro rata basis to another individual from the same organisation. So if a member leaves the company their membership can be transferred to their replacement or another staff member. To arrange a transfer- please contact Schmooze.
- Members who change jobs, cannot transfer their membership if it was paid for by their employer. The membership is the property of the person/company who paid for it.
- Social members can transfer their membership to a friends/colleague on a pro rata basis on request.
Sourcing of Venues, Products and Services
- Schmooze only uses its members for its operational and business requirements to the fullest extent possible
- We also aim to be as sustainable in our activities, such as prefering electronic communications rather than hardcopy.
- If you are unsatisfied with your Schmooze membership within 30 days of your confirmation email sent when you pay for your membership, you can receive a pro-rata refund.
- If you pay for an event in advance, then don't show up (without contacting us prior to 48 hours of the event starting) you are not eligibile for a refund.
- If you pay for an event in advance, and can't come, but tell us in advance - we will provide a credit for a future event, but not a refund.
- Refunds of membership are not provided due to a change of circumstances or relocation. You may, however, transfer your membership to another person in your organisation (if a Professional/Young Professional membership) or to a friend/colleague if a Social member.
- Schmooze will not make an attempt to identify users or their browsing activities. However, in the unlikely event of an investigation, a law enforcement agency or other government agency may exercise its legal authority to inspect our server logs.
Use of information collected
- Schmooze will only record your e-mail address if you send us a message or apply for membership/registration. Your e-mail address will only be used for the purpose for which you have provided it and it will not be provided to a mailing list, third party or sponsor or used for any other purpose without your consent.
- Schmooze does not provide facilities for the secure transmission of information across the Internet with the exception of the PayPal system, so please don't send emails containing credit card numbers.
- A month after a membership expires, their profile on the Members Profile database is deleted.
- Members who have RSVP’d for an event and do not attend will forfeit one Guest Pass in consideration of the catering and staffing arrangements put in place.
- People who request a Guest Pass to try Schmooze, and then don't show without notification, are not eligible to request other Guest places.
- Terms of payment is 7 working days for memberships, or before the event being paid for.
- Schmooze accepts cash, EFT, cheque and PayPal (Visa and MasterCard) for membership and event fees.
- AMEX is also accepted, please call us to arrange payment over the phone
- Membership payment in instalments is also possible for 12 month memberships upon request- three payments via EFT only over 9 months.
- Memberships commence once the membership fees are paid.
- Failure to pay for an event will result in not being able to attend any Schmooze event until the account is settled.
- Members who fail to pay by the instalment date will have their membership suspended and access to the Members Lounge deactivated until the instalment is paid.
- Failure to pay within a month of the due date will result in termination of the membership.
- Using member emails collected via Schmooze for spamming is strictly forbidden and will result in forfeiture of membership. This includes data in the Member Profile database.
- If you have a commercial proposition for the members you can send the information via Schmooze for inclusion in the e-news and website.
- Members can add commercial offers to the website via the events calendar or notice board in the Members Lounge.
Responsible Consumption of Alcohol
- Schmooze encourages members and guests to drink alcohol responsibly at our events and exercises a duty of care for our staff, members and guests
- We reserve the right to reserve service of alchohol as per the regulations and laws of the location of the event.
Data and Website Privacy
- Information collected on this website is strictly for the purposes of managing your membership. Details such as addresses will not be shared with third parties unless you agree first.